Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Many Properties of Shaving Cream

Ooh, today was fun.  Everett and I had a messy good time in the backyard exploring shaving cream.  I'm on a messy kick lately.  I figure as long as I already have to clean daily, we might as well really get in there and have fun making our messes.  He got to experience the meanings of the words squishy, foamy, slippery, messy (he knew that one I'm sure), etc.  He got to feel it between his fingers and toes, and then all over eventually. 

We started out with our trusty clear box.  He would tell me a letter of the alphabet, and I would draw it with the shaving cream.  I would have used the cheap really foamy white stuff, but Eric has a bunch he is no longer using, so we went with the blue that turns white, which was actually pretty cool to experience as well. The whole project smelled really manly.

He was a little hesitant until I got my hands in and suggested putting it on the slide.



It wasn't long before he was having a blast.  Shaving cream on a slide makes it extra slippery! 
After the shaving cream was exhausted, we added some water.
I accidentally bumped into him while his hands were in front of his face.  Hah!
It was really fun to watch him go.  His creative juices were flowing, and by the end he was playing with shaving cream, water, grass, and dirt.  He also was more creative in his play for the rest of the day.  Overall, a success!

And folks, if you're going to have this much fun with a 2 year old, it is imperative that you have an exit strategy.  You know, bribery.  Today's bribery came in the form of a freshly baked whole wheat, banana, blueberry, coconut, pecan, applesauce muffin.  "Nummy, nummy" says Everett.  :)
And during this entire playtime, clean up, and muffin, Paxton was taking a fantastic nap.  Couldn't ask for more.  After all, shaving cream is not a suitable play item for a 7 month old.  Our next project we will have to make baby friendly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment