Monday, June 28, 2010

The Messy Cook Indeed!

It's days like these that earn me the title "the messy cook." Dinner prep was going along swimmingly until my dash to the pantry sent the blue, yes blue, potatoes flying out of the bag I was using to coat them (in olive oil, kosher salt, pepper, and garlic chives in case you're curious). You know it's bad when your husband consoles you by saying, "at least there's no fire this time!" In my defense, the fire only happened once, and I swiftly extinguished it with baking soda like the superwoman that I am. No harm done.

My mom actually donned the title upon me after cooking alongside each other for many years. I just keep earning it night after night.

Now in case you're wondering is it worth it? Why don't they order out? Why doesn't Eric cook? Everett even? Well, messy or not, we had a delicious dinner of ham and ricotta stuffed chicken, grilled okra, and the aforementioned blue potatoes. The potatoes and okra are from a local farm. I must share the recipe for grilled okra as we typically find it difficult to enjoy, but this was really excellent. Thank you Bobby Flay!



Thanks Eric for cleaning up while I cooked!!!!!!!


Grilled Okra
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp celery seed
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted, or olive oil
1 lb fresh okra

Preheat the grill to high. Place the salt, paprika, sugar, coriander, black pepper, cayenne, and celery seed in a plastic bag. Rinse the okra under cold running water and blot dry with paper towels. Trim the tips off the stem ends of the okra but do not cut into the pods. Place the okra in a large mixing bowl, add the butter and toss to coat. Then add the okra to the spice bag and shake it until the okra is all coated. Put on the grill (can use skewers) about 4-5 mins per side until browned all over.


No comments:

Post a Comment