Thursday, September 13, 2012

Dinosaur Bones!

Everett, like many 2 year olds, loves dinosaurs.  We went to the library today, and per his request picked up a book about T Rex.  In the midst of reading it to him for what felt like the tenth time (probably 5th time) today, during a part about finding fossils, he stopped, the lightbulb went on, and he asked..."We can dig them up?...  On a hike?...  Can I get a shovel?"

I remember this exact excitement.  I wanted soooo badly to get a metal detector for my birthday/Christmas/any holiday or reason one year (or two).  My parents, rightfully so, did not give me this gift concerned I would dig up the yard.  And I probably would have for about 3.5 minutes until I realized how HARD it is to actually dig up a yard!  I don't fault them at all for this - perspective and motherhood has made me see they were completely right.  Just noting the yearning to discover treasure and the excitement it brings!

That being said...

We are so lucky!  Dinosaurs actually did live here!  There is a place called Dinosaur Ridge about 30 minutes from us where you can hike alongside dinosaur tracks, see fossils, etc.  There is a trail with 100 million year old fossils and tracks as well as one with 68 million year old tracks!  I can't wait to show Everett!  Let the adventure begin!  I'll take pictures!

P.S. I should note we have been known to pretend we are looking for dinosaur bones in order to get him to move along on a trail while hiking.  We saved a "stegosaurus bone" from the hardest hike he did successfully without being carried.  How great it will be to not be pretending aka fibbing!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment