Friday, July 30, 2010

Detachment


I'm sensing a theme lately. Bad luck? Or good luck? Depends how you look at it; and as a mother, I look at the world differently now. Allow me to demonstrate. :)

(of course, there's always some overlap both ways on these things, but these are the predominant thoughts.)

A few weeks ago: Dude runs a red light and hits my car (with Everett in the back).
Pre-child reaction: Aw $#*&! Yes, I’m thankful that I’m not hurt, but now my car is ruined, it’ll never be the same, I’ll be without a car while it’s in the shop, our insurance premiums will go up, etc, etc…
Post-child reaction: SO thankful that it was not different by milliseconds possibly hurting us. I could care less about the hassles of getting the car fixed. Seriously.

A week ago: We wake up to find our truck stolen from our driveway!!!
Pre-child reaction: $@&*! Are you kidding me?
Post-child reaction: SO thankful that the person/people stealing our car did not decide to come inside the house!

Yesterday: Eric tries to blow off steam from dealing with the AC people ripping us off as well as the above truck theft by going for a bike ride. He falls in the river and his brand new iPhone 4 is ruined.
Pre-child reaction: #@($*&! More money out of our pocket! Does it ever end?
Post-child reaction: SO thankful Eric did not hurt himself!

So we are definitely having some tests of detachment! And tests are a good thing! Being a mother has made a positive impact on my perspective -- and I don't curse nearly as much. :)

"Just as the plough furrows the earth deeply, purifying it of weeds and thistles, so suffering and tribulation free man from the petty affairs of this worldly life until he arrives at a state of complete detachment. His attitude in this world will be that of divine happiness."
-'Abdu'l-Baha, From the Baha'i Writings

No comments:

Post a Comment