Friday, March 7, 2014

Quiet Book Pages

This week's project quilting challenge was to be inspired by 3 things at the grocery store.  I found this a good time to get started on another one of those meaning to do for a long time projects.  My mom recently bought this book for me...

http://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Book-Patterns-Easy---Make/dp/1462112455/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1394227944&sr=8-7&keywords=quiet+book

So with the book and a challenge to inspire me, it was time to get busy!  I also needed a bit of a smaller project this week as I was finishing up a baby quilt for friends and was anxious to mail it off!  I used the book for basic instructions on getting going and for the cookie page.  I used pinterest for the strawberry puzzle.  The book's instructions are really for minimal, if any, sewing, but let's face it...it's much cuter when you do!  So I appliquéd like crazy. 

My threefold inspiration:
1. I used to love going to the grocery store with my mom.  I don't know if she realizes it, but she taught me a lot of math there. 
2.  My boys loooove strawberries.  I generally have to avoid pushing the cart near them unless I'm willing to shell out the organic price. 
3.  Baking with our grocery store ingredients is one of our favorite things to do together. 

The first book page is 7"x10", and is a baking pan with cookies.  The task is to match the number of sprinkles to the number on the pan.

Everett really likes to be in my pictures, even if it's just his hand. 
The numbers are one side of the velcro!
 The second page is a strawberry puzzle. 



I was pleasantly surprised to see that it wasn't too easy.  At least on the first time.


So there it is.  I've got two pages done!  Hah!  This will be a time consuming project, but worth it in the end.  I hope to have two decent size books before our road trip to Wisconsin this summer!  I think I'll go back through the project quilting challenge topics for more inspiration...zipper page for the string along with me challenge, something with stars, maybe constellations for the universe challenge...etc...etc...

If you'd like to vote on this week's challenge, it will be at this link after Sunday at noon. 

P.S: I can't believe it, but my one block wonder "Infinite Possibilities" won the last challenge!  I'm flabbergasted and really appreciate all the kind words, love, and support!

1 comment:

  1. This is so wonderful! The key to this all is 'quiet'! Love it so much! I should make these for Pip...or maybe Grandma would want too...hmm....

    ReplyDelete